Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Drive for 4

Again I know what you're gonna say... Wow its been a while since early December actually and a lot has happened since.

The Whitecourt Wolverines have been on Extreme Make-Over Hockey Team Edition!

Richard Kazda is out as Head Coach, I feel jinxed as a Broadcaster, 2 seasons of Play By Play and two HC changes, as it's never easy to say good-bye to a coach and with that a friend on the road, I went through it last year with Darrell Mann of the Melfort Mustangs and we still remain close friends and hoping the same for Richie we had a beverage or two a couple of days ago as he packed up to move on.

There is a couple of job prospects for him on the horizon and I wish him well, thanks for everything Richie!

With that though as this game is also a business the Wolverines decided to make a change and brought in Stanley Cup Champion Norm Lacombe into the fold as well as Pierre Luc Racette and things seem business as usual last night in the 2012 opener for Whitecourt with an 8-1 win over Fort St. John.

Before I say anything the Husky play at the end of the game was classless and unnecessary in Wyatt Anderson's cross-check to the face of Dion LeBlue,  Dion didn't lose any teeth but did get a couple of stitches but in a 8-1 game and the puck is no where near the vicinity of LeBlue.... Skate away, If it's a scrap I'm not gonna call anybody out cause it's part of the game and it makes it a fair fight.

I'm curious about what the NWJHL will do for disciplinary action on that. Speaking of discipline Nick Bourgeois gets ejected for the second time this season this guy can be a great leader by example when he shoots the puck but unfortunately I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, he's got the "Gino De Paoli Passionate Italian/Irish Fire" I've got in trouble in the Sports World by not just accepting the ref's call and move on, I get this from my father and surprisingly my mother, An Irish and Italian mixed male that's 6'5 200 plus pounds=recipe for disaster sometimes! But Nick is a great player and just needs to cool it and score goals, you'll be set my friend! He did get 2 ten minute misconducts I'm not sure what the disciplinary committee will say for him.

On to the game, you could tell the Wolverines were getting everything back, there's the practice pace then going to game atmosphere, the crowd was electric at the SSC, new players, coach and attitude and that lead to a scoreless first.

The second period, It was the Will Cloutier, Jean-Marco St.Pierre, Samuel Lauzon and Riley Helleckson show, Cloutier gets 2 points in his return to the Wolverines, St.Pierre was dangerous every time he had the puck for a four point night, Helleckson responded well with his drop to the third line and should get back two second-first line time next week. Everyone did their jobs for the Wolverines and that's what the organization wants, just specific job descriptions don't do anything less, seems easy but it's not.

Third period just turned into a nightmare for the Huskies as the onslaught continued with four more goals its gonna be an interesting ride in the next ten games before the post season.

-------------------------------------

More Wolverines business, at the Norm Lacombe press conference early in the week, Wolverines President Brent Stark said simply, there's no excuses now. A direct quote from Brent that is Debacle Exclusive.... "We brought in a coach that has won every championship, if that doesn't get you fired up to play hard everynight I don't know what the @%#! will" Brent wanted me to put this in and of course me being me I love passion and what people truly want to say and Stark shows that everyday.

The team is excited but with the additions of St.Pierre, Cloutier, Lauzon, Dunham and apparently rumor has it another addition coming, who is gonna to be on the short end of the stick? 5 Wolverines were scratched last night so does a Rueker, Cartwright, Hodge, Thompson and Gann get a chance? we'll find out soon enough.

As for what kind of players St.Pierre, Cloutier, Lauzon and Dunham bring... St.Pierre reminds me of Pavel Datsyuk he always has the puck and doesn't give it up, fast and can pick the corner. He had one goal last night but I predict more goals then apples by seasons end.

 Lauzon is a quiet, under the radar guy that just is in the right place at the right time and he's the X-Factor on the ice he knows how to work and when he's gets in shape he'll be something else.

Dunham is 6'7 on D... what does he do? Shut Players down and could probably give Ivan Drago a run for his money!

Will Cloutier... Whitecourt do I have to explain this one? A very dynamic player and just has a great sense of seeing the ice and his players well makes everyone around him better, Oh and he won the scoring title last year!

Wolverines have a possible 20 points to earn from now till mid February so it should be interesting this coming weekend will be the chance to get the rust out and break things down as it's a trip to Beaverlodge Friday Night, not Saturday night as I said last night at 8PM on XM105FM and www.mytowntoday.ca and on Sunday afternoon in Sexsmith at 2 so busy times await in Wolverine land! Hop on it's gonna be fun as GM Joey Bouchard said to me last night via text.

---------------------------------------

In the Hopper

- The Denver Broncos win the AFC West at 8-8, and people are shocked the division is won this way? I am a fan but that's a rough year but I believe in the luck for the Wildcard Weekend as the Seahawks did beat a good New Orleans team last year!

- The New York Giants look dangerous, next week in Lambeau will be a blockbuster!

-Can the 49ers keep up with Drew Brees and New Orleans next week?

- Four different teams have won the WJC the last four years, Unreal games and a great tournament of course it was failure for Canada not being in the Gold Medal Game but I guess you got to hear O' Canada in your last game of the tourny this time.

Got to see two games during the Christmas break both had Latvia and they played well against Switzerland but ran out of gas, I hope to go to a WJC hopefully not in North America I'd just like to be that random Canada fan in some european country celebrating a gold medal!

- Jarome Iginla scored goal number 500 last night good on him! Will he have 500 plus goals as a Flame at seasons end? My question for the Flames quest for the playoffs, is worth getting the 7th or 8th seed? Or start a re-build If Leland Irving can improve I got a feeling Miikka Kiprusoff would look awfully good somewhere for some great draft picks and prospects! I hope it doesn't happen but who knows.

- Is Sidney Crosby finished? Should Chris Pronger retire?

A challenge to Debacle readers.... Sidney Crosby was a lock as the captain for Team Canada at the Olympics in Sochi but now its not in stone with his concussion and maybe shortened career.

Who is on your roster right now for 2014? Is Toews the Captain? Iginla gonna make the cut? Loungo the starting goalie?

Let me know email me at gino.depaoli@xm105fm.com or tweet me at @gdp74

I'm Out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment